donderdag 11 februari 2010

Parking's a Bitch!

After the first week of a new period at school I found myself busy, busy, busy! With already a lot of homework and a busily engaged social life, I don't know where to find the time to do anything else.

Sunday I thought I was clever by lending my boyfriend’s car for the week. I figured that with a faster transport, I’d spend less time travelling and more time relaxing. Unfortunately, I couldn’t be more wrong!
Utrecht isn’t made for cars! The center is almost unreachable, unless you’re by bus, bicycle or taxi. The roads in the centre are only allowable for those kinds of transport. And when you do finally reach a street where you’re allowed on, well.. That’s a whole other story!

Utrecht is a prime example of one-way streets. I was so happy I had a navigator with me! I would be totally lost in my own city, riding the walk of shame. But with a little help from the friendly lady who told me to go right over 500 meters (seriously, how long is that? I still can’t figure it out!), I made it to school in time. Next problem: parking space! When you finally find a spot, in a 10 minute walk distance of the university, you need to pay for that. And believe me, it isn’t cheap!

After two days already, I parted from this easy way of transport and handed in the car keys. Although I really love the drive .. I need to get forward!

2 opmerkingen:

  1. +
    You wrote a nice story and one that would certainly be interesting
    for foreign students.
    On the whole, your English is okay, although it comes with some mistakes.

    -
    Your mistakes:
    busily engaged social life = busy social life
    lending my boyfriend’s car = borrowing.. (to lend=lenen aan/to borrow = lenen van)
    allowable = accessible
    where you’re allowed on=where cars are allowed ?
    That’s a whole other story! =that's a totally different story
    a prime example=? an example of a city that seems to be a collection of one-way streets.
    iding the walk of shame= you're in a car, so DRIVING
    over 500 meters= IN 500 metres
    in a 10 minute walk distance of the university= AT a 10-minute walk FROM the university
    I need to get forward! = ? (what do you mean).

    Advice: use a good dictionary and check everything you're not sure of.

    Mieke Westveen

    BeantwoordenVerwijderen
  2. + I couldn't say anything more about your blog then Mieke already said.
    I think although you have made a few mistakes, your English is very good

    BeantwoordenVerwijderen